Advertisements

Made in Group Urges Government Support to Elevate UK’s Manufacturing Standing

by Anna

Members of Made in Group, encompassing Made in the Midlands and Made in Yorkshire, have called on the UK government for more effective support to bolster the nation’s position as the eighth-largest industrial nation globally. The peer-to-peer membership association, with over 500 members representing diverse manufacturing and engineering sectors, emphasizes the need for strategic government backing to further advance the manufacturing sector.

Advertisements

During a recent ‘Backing Britain’ parliamentary reception, attended by representatives from over 80 businesses, key areas were highlighted for government consideration:

Advertisements
  • Strengthening and safeguarding Britain’s manufacturing capacity.
  • Appointing a dedicated Minister for Manufacturing.
  • Addressing concerns related to the ownership of British businesses.

An open letter outlining the necessary actions to boost Britain’s manufacturing capacity was delivered to every MP’s pigeonhole. The event saw the presence of MPs and Lords, including Lord Whitby, Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party, Lee Anderson MP, John Redwood MP for Wokingham, and Gary Sambrook MP for Birmingham, Northfield.

Lord Whitby, Chairman of Made in Group, challenged the prevailing perception of the UK economy as primarily service-driven, underscoring the vital contribution of the manufacturing sector. Highlighting a study by Oxford University, Lord Whitby revealed that manufacturing’s impact on the UK economy goes beyond the commonly cited 10% of GDP. The research indicates that the sector supports an additional 13% through indirect and induced economic impacts, resulting in a total contribution of 23% to the UK GDP.

Jason Pitt, CEO of Made in Group, expressed appreciation for the strong industry representation at the parliamentary reception. He acknowledged the positive steps taken by the government, such as the £4.5 billion commitment, the Advanced Manufacturing Plan, and the new Battery Strategy. However, Pitt emphasized that challenges persist, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses within the manufacturing sector.

Pitt called for the appointment of a Minister for Manufacturing, asserting that it would elevate industry concerns to the highest levels of government. Made in Group looks forward to collaborating with such a minister and their team to ensure that the voices and needs of British manufacturers actively shape policy decisions in the coming years.

Advertisements
Advertisements

You may also like

Copyright © 2023 ourmechanicalcenter.com